Monday, September 1, 2014

Plant a garden

In this post, I will give you no information about how to actually plant a garden, just tell you to do it. Because that's how I did it. I bought several $1 little plants from outside of Wheatsville, and planted them in our front bed. It was mostly just supposed to be a nature lesson for Atticus.

Whether it is the rich soil, the reused dishwater I use to water them, or just dumb luck, I now have a HUGE tomato plant, and a respectable bell pepper plant.


For $1, I now have more local, organic, vine-ripened tomatoes than I can eat. I literally give them away to my parents, neighbors, and even strangers who stop to peruse our Free Little Library

They are best raw, with some basil, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Maybe mozzarella if I'm feeling extravagant. However, there are other wonderful options for a bumper crop of tomatoes.



Today, I made a very simple gazpacho.

Gazpacho (a cold, tomato soup)

4 small tomatoes
2 small bell peppers
A handful of basil leaves
Kosher salt and ground pepper to taste

Throw everything in the blender with a cup of water. You might have to add more water as you blend, to achieve the texture you want. I like to throw in a couple ice cubes, since gazpacho is a cold soup.

Other ideas: slice and put on pizza, simmer down into a pasta sauce, FRIED GREEN TOMATOES!


As an amateur gardener, I have to say that there is something very satisfying about watching your plants flourish and produce so much beautiful fruit. I highly recommend it. Give it a try, it might be worth your $1 investment :)

This guy thinks so...

No comments:

Post a Comment