Monday, April 14, 2014

Welcome to my blog!



I admittedly live in Austin, definitely the easiest city in Texas to eat vegetarian. In fact, during my travels, I have found that Austin is easier than may other places. So this blog is less about defying the odds, and more about sharing recipes, tips, and questions about being vegetarian. Currently, my thoughts are on how to be a satisfied vegetarian on a post-graduate school budget. Woman cannot live on quinoa and black beans alone, so how can we make those ends meet, while still eating all the delicious foods we love?

Here's me:


I want to start from scratch, so instead of pulling up some recycled pictures of kale chips and black beans burgers, albeit delicious and impressive, I want to share some of my favorite resources.

Best restaurant in Austin...Bouldin Creek! My absolute favorite thing to get there is the chipotle-pecan pesto with pita and a side of avocado. Here's their website, with an endearingly bad link to the menu: http://www.bouldincreek.com/. Just trust me on the pesto.


I wish I could shop every single day at Wheatsville Co-Op. It is one of my favorite places on this planet, and that's not an exaggeration. Everyone is so nice, you don't have to examine every label for bleach or aspartame, and the prepared food is excellent. Popcorn tofu...for example. I have tried my darnedest to replicate the recipe, to no avail. http://wheatsville.coop/

  Wheatsville Food Co-op

In my experience, the best ethical and economic way to get your local, organic vegetables is through a CSA. Be prepared for an overload of certain vegetables (lettuce is literally spilling out of my refrigerator right now). But it makes you try new recipes and veggies, and to get over the Whole Foods syndrome of getting anything you want at any time. My very favorite is Urban Roots: http://www.urbanrootsatx.org/.

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION

No comments:

Post a Comment